3/14/2007

Young Jesus

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.

Joh 1:26 John answered them, "I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know,

Joh 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Joh 1:31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel."

Joh 1:33 I myself did not know him...

Why don't we have much written about Jesus between his birth and when he was about 30 years old? From these verses, it's clear that nobody knew who he was. I wonder what happened to the wise men and shepherds who knew he was God as a baby. Maybe an angel told them to come back in 30 years, but clearly they weren't following him all over the place.

So nobody knew who Jesus was. They saw him as Joseph and Mary's son. Even John the Baptist, his cousin didn't know. Then one day while John was out baptizing as usual, he saw Jesus, and God revealed to him that Jesus, his cousin, is the Messiah. What was the purpose of John's ministry? To reveal Jesus as the Messiah to Israel.

No comments: