3/07/2007

To the Praise of His Glory

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. -Eph 1:13-14

Why did God send the Holy Spirit? We are told that He seals us and is the guarantee of our inheritance. Ultimately though, the reason the Holy Spirit was sent is "to the praise of his glory." We are chosen so we will be holy and blameless before him (v 4). He predestined us for adoption "to the praise of his glorious grace" (v 5-6). We have an inheritance according to his purpose "to the praise of his glory" (v11-12). And he even sent the Holy Spirit "to the praise of his glory" (v13-14).

It's about time I learned this lesson:

  • I exist for the praise of God's glory.
  • Corollary: It's not about me, my wife, or my daughter.

No comments: