8/24/2007

Malicious Witness

If a malicious witness arises to accuse a person of wrongdoing, then both
parties to the dispute shall appear before the LORD, before the priests and the
judges who are in office in those days. The judges shall inquire diligently, and
if the witness is a false witness and has accused his brother falsely, then you
shall do to him as he had meant to do to his brother. So you shall purge the
evil from your midst. -Deu 19:16-19

I think we would have a lot fewer frivolous law suits if we put this into practice. If I spill coffee in my lap and try to sue McDonald's for 30 million dollars...and if I know there's a possibility that I'll have to pay them the $30 million. Well, I can guarantee that I'm more likely to say either "I shouldn't have put the coffee in my lap" or "$10,000 would cover the medical expenses, so that's a better amount to go for."

No comments: