8/02/2007

Bridge Collapse

So the big news of the day in Minneapolis is the collapsing 35W Mississippi River Bridge. Thankfully nobody I know was on the bridge at the time, so we're all OK. I don't have a whole lot to say about it. I just wonder if they would have spent a little money on inspecting and fixing the bridge instead of building light rail or a new retarded baseball stadium...

I wonder how this will affect the housing market. Will people in northern suburbs who have finally had it with their long commute decide to buy my house? They know their commute is going to be worse in the months to come. The bridge will certainly not be replaced before the snow starts flying...

Ironically, the Stone Arch Bridge has withstood the test of time, being like 100 years old. Of course, cars aren't allowed on it.

A couple years ago, the State of Minnesota started experimental de-icing procedures on the 35W bridge. I wonder what effect those experimental chemicals had on the structure of the bridge?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're okay. It sounds like there was some work being done on the bridge at the time of the collapse - perhaps not in the areas it needed the work. I must say, though, despite your "retarded" assertion, Minneapolis is in dire need of a replacement for the Metrodome. I don't think that's money ill-spent, and knowing city beauracracy in just about every metropolitan area, if they hadn't spent it on the stadium, they would have spent it on a new high-rent district or something - it wouldn't have gone into bridge repair. But I would bet they and many other cities suddenly find some dollars they can funnel that way.