2/01/2007

Why Am I Conservative?

I've been thinking a lot lately about why I believe what I believe about the government's involvement in our lives. I have found that on some issues I think we should have laws enforcing Biblical values, but on other issues I think the government should be silent. For example, I currently believe:

  • So-called "Same-sex Marriage" should not be allowed, but the government should not forbid same-sex sexual relationships.
  • Abortion should be outlawed
  • We should not be forced to give to the poor, and wealth should not be forbidden
  • The government should not force people to become Christians, but it should not forbid Christian expression in public places (like 10 Commandments displays, crosses in city seals, prayer in schools, etc.)
I think it's important to think through these things to make sure I am not being hypocritical, that I am not just a mindless republican follower, and that I am not rationalizing disobeying Christ. Anyway, I expect to have a series of posts on this and highly encourage any comments!

No comments: