2/24/2007

Dissipation

But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap. -Luk 21:34

DISSIPATION, n.
3. Scattered attention; or that which diverts and calls off the mind from any subject.
4. A dissolute, irregular course of life; a wandering from object to object in pursuit of pleasure; a course of life usually attended with careless and exorbitant expenditure of money, and indulgence in vices, which impair or ruin both health and fortune.


What a terrifying verse! I know I am currently trapped in dissipation (#3) and the cares of this life. Am I ready for Christ's return? I feel I am so distracted by everything around me--even great things like my family and necessary things like my job. The trials of house-hunting and selling easily consume me. Oh how I need God's grace to save from my distractions, to focus my attention on Him.

No comments: