1/23/2007

Pro Choice

Last night, while I was playing with my baby, suddenly someone began pounding on our door. I expected it to be a friend, someone who could make loud pounding funny. But no, it was one of our regular solicitors trying to get me to sign on to some liberal petition. The petition of the night was to promote pro choice "women's reproductive rights." I was caught off guard (remember I was expecting someone I knew) and didn't respond as I wish I would, telling him I'm not interested and very pro life. As soon as he walked away I started to think of all the things to say--like. . . .

I'm pro choice too:

  • I believe a woman has the right to choose abstinence or to sleep with whomever she wants
  • I believe a woman has the right to choose to use contraceptives
  • I believe a woman has the right to choose between keeping her baby or giving him up for adoption.
  • I believe a woman has the right to choose to prosecute a rapist or an incestuous family member
  • I just don't believe a woman has the right to kill a baby...or more accurately to pay a medical hit man to kill her baby

I also believe in women's reproductive rights:

  • Women have the right to reproduce with whomever they please and as often as they please
  • Women have the right to take fertility drugs
  • Women have the right to have surgery to enhance their ability to bear children
  • Women have the right to use their body as a surrogate for someone else
  • I just don't believe killing a baby is a reproductive right since, by definition, reproducing involves making a new baby, not killing it.

I'm sure he would have said something along the lines of "it's not a baby, it's part of her body." No it's not:

  • Babies have different DNA. Half the DNA is from mom & half is from dad. The baby is no more part of her body than it is dad's. She just happens to be carrying it. When I put a book in a bookbag, I don't say the book is part of the bookbag. A book is a book, and a bag is a bag.
  • Babies have different blood. Not only does mom's blood not mix with the baby's blood, but they can be completely different blood types.
  • Babies have different genitals. If the baby is really part of mom...then half of all pregnant women have penises.

Yes, abortion is legal right now. That is a stain on our nation comparable to the injustice done to blacks. Slavery was legal for 89 years, but it was eventually overturned by a constitutional amendment. Dred Scot said blacks could not be citizens, but that too was overturned by a constitutional amendment. And another 89 years after slavery was abolished, segregation was finally stopped. It took 143 years for women to get the right to vote. Our nation has done many wonderful things, but this track record of injustice is not one of them. Some day the citizens of our country will wake up and stand up against this evil. Oh for the day when our culture reacts to the words "lynching" and "abortion" with the same disdain.

1 comment:

Kevin Sawyer said...

All of this is why the pro-choice movement seeks to do an end run around having to defend their principles. Instead of calling at abortion, they call it the choice. Instead of holding a vote, they ask the courts to mandate the legality of the practice by judicial fiat.

Advocating legal abortion is logically, eithically and spiritually untenable.