1/21/2007

The Good Old Days

Don’t long for “the good old days.” This is not wise. - Ecclesiastes 7:10

It was wonderful seeing so many new and old friends last night. It makes me reminisce and remember "the good old days." It would be so easy to get caught up in this unhealthily. Oh, yes, there were great times - small group runs to Sebastian Joe's, a six-night-a-week social life, free bread, sushi without worry of the cost, bike rides to Duluth, and hours just hanging out.

But there's a reason "the good old days" is in quotes - they weren't any better than "the good new days." Our memories have this wonderful ability to forget the bad stuff from the past, or at least we forget those things when we're doing this pondering of the past. What about the loneliness I had in spite of the happening social life? What about the job I hated and all the travel? What about all the sin the Lord has overcome in my life since then? What about my wife, whom I had not yet met, or my daughter, who was not even alive yet? And what about all the friends whom I see regularly now? Aren't those relationships special and worthy of some real-time reminiscing?

I guess all I can say is it was great seeing my old friends. They all have a very special place in my heart. I am who I am in large part because of them. I don't miss my past though. I'm glad I'm living in the present. This is the best year of my life. . .so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

EP said...

Tex:

Yes, those words are very true.

What a delight to check out your post to see something that I was part of.

I really enjoyed last night. Thanks to you and Stephanie for opening your home. I'm glad I was finally able to make it.

It would have been great to catch up with you more, but still seeing you and briefly catching up was fun.

I also really enjoyed having the opportunity to catch up with other old friends. I had a lot of good laughs and the time flew by. I was s'posed to head out downtown with some friends, but it was eleven before I knew it (so didn't make it).

Thanks again! I am truly blessed by the opportunity to know you. The Lord used you, along with so many others in the early days of my faith. I often miss what was, but, to know that one can never have what is and what was. Thus, I must always rejoice in the Lord for where I am at.

I pray that God continues to lead you as both a father and a husband and that he might richly bless you for all the sacrifices you make to be a illustrate that you love Him first and foremost.

EP

EP said...

Oh, and you'll find this funny, I recently had a good laugh recalling the New Year's eve you brought the CD of "your brother singing" a Christmas song at church.

I shared it with a couple of co-workers who thought it was good.

I recall Keith saying something about it being good and thinking, "I'm sorry, I just can't lie here, how can I avoid this conversation."

Do you know what I'm talking about here. Hopefully you remember, otherwise this was a pointless addition.

EP