9/04/2007

Milwaukee

For those who haven't heard, I'm moving to Milwaukee a week from tomorrow!!!! (I couldn't post here until I gave my notice at work for obvious reasons.)

For the last couple years, Stephanie and I have been thinking about getting closer to family. The 5 hour drive to her parents is tough, and the 8 hour drive to my parents is just about impossible with a 1 year old. At least, it's virtually impossible to visit as much as we would like. This opportunity just came up at the beginning of July, so we decided to chase after it. And now, moving day is just about upon us.

Housing.......
We're trying to sell our house in Minneapolis. If you know anybody who's looking for a 3-bedroom, 3 bath house in the Nokomis neighborhood, let us know! We might even be willing to rent to the right person. For the last two weeks in September, we'll be living with Steph's family. Then starting Oct 2, we'll move in to her grandmother's 2-bedroom condo when she moves back to Florida for the winter. We wanted to be closer to family, and it looks like we will!

Work..........
My new company is Metavante, which is currently a subsidiary of M&I Bank. I'll continue to write software. I'm excited about the change for two main reasons. First, I will get to do newer, more marketable technologies. No more 1995 compilers with C++. I get to use the latest and greatest with C#. And second, I get to switch out of the semiconductor industry into the financial services industry. No more forced vacation time and crazy business cycles. There are a lot of other perks too....like a full gym in the building, web development, tons of opportunities, etc. Something that I'm looking forward to down the road that isn't really a big deal immediately is that this company has great retention. People actually work there for 20-30 years. That to me is a sign that they treat employees right.

Going Away Party...........
To celebrate all the friendships we've made in the last 8 years, we're having a going away party. Come one, come all, this Friday, Sep 7 at 7:00! Evie goes to bed at 8:00, so come early if you want to see her!

1 comment:

Radman said...

Dude, congratulations! Software, eh? C#, eh? Cool stuff dude! Didn't know you had a baby either. Wow.

So, Milwaukee. Brew City. Our church (Mad City Church) just planted a new church in Mil last year, called Brew City Church. It was a plant commissioned by the discipleship training community here. Check it out.

Also, Frank and his wife (former iLifers) are in BC. Maybe you guys can hook up and have a pint.

Fun things in Mil: The art museum is amazing. The area around East Watertower St. is awesome. Looks like it could be pretty spendy though, but regardless, have a drive. Finally, Pieces of Eight has an awesome Sunday brunch.

Go Sconnies!