7/25/2007

Remembered Alms

And Cornelius said, "Four days ago, about this hour, I was praying in my house at the ninth hour, and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing and said, 'Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God.' -Act 10:30-31

This verse strikes me as a very important verse in understanding the relationship between faith and good works. Let's list everything I observe here...

  1. Cornelius had at least an inkling of faith--enough to pray
  2. He prayed to the true God, not to a false god
  3. He gave to the poor, indicating he was devoted to what he knew
  4. God honored the faith and obedience he had
  5. His prayer and alms were not enough for salvation--he needed Paul to explain things to him

I'm sure the faith vs works debate will continue until the end of time, and I mean that literally. That's probably because one side of the debate sees the two as completely independent concepts, and the other sees them as too intricately united. Faith without works is dead.

No comments: